In addition to regular acupuncture treatments and administration of herbal formulations, one’s diet plays a key role in maintenance of a healthy prostate.
Below are some dietary and nutritional suggestions for maintaining a healthy prostate:
Foods to Avoid
- Coffee, alcohol, corn oil and canola (use olive oil instead)
Foods to Limit
- Dairy products (especially butter and margarine)
- Spicy foods
- Red meats
Recommended Supplements & Foods
- Vitamin C: Red & hot chili peppers, guavas, bell peppers, fresh thyme & parsley, kale, mustard greens, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, kiwi, papaya, oranges, tangerines, and strawberries
- Zinc: Oysters, toasted wheat germ, veal liver, sesame seeds or tahini, low-fat roast beef, roasted pumpkin seeds & squash seeds, dried watermelon seeds, dark chocolate & cocoa powder, lamb (mutton), and peanuts
- Selenium: Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, fish (tuna, halibut, sardines, flounder, salmon), shellfish (oysters, mussels, shrimp, clams, scallops), meat (beef, liver, lamb, pork), poultry (chicken, turkey), eggs, mushrooms (button, crimini, shiitake), grains (wheat germ, barley, brown rice, oats), onions, and brown rice
- Lycopene: Tomatoes, guava, watermelon, pink grapefruit, dried parsley & basil, persimmons, asparagus, liver (Pâté), chili powder, and red cabbage
Other GOOD foods include; mackerel, trout, spinach, chicory, pumpkin, berries, cherries, apricots, peaches, bananas, pears, grapes, green tea, and red wine (in moderation).
Remember: VARIETY is the spice of life!
Eat a wide variety of foods containing essential vitamins, minerals & nutrients… and, ORGANIC foods are always better. It is also important to exercise regularly and to avoid stress as much as possible.
NOTE: There are some studies, which have shown that patients who used the western herbal supplement ‘Saw Palmetto’ did not endure side effects such as decreased libido and impotence compared to those using the drug Finasteride. There are no known drug interactions with saw palmetto, and reported side effects are minor and rare.
If you are interested in receiving acupuncture treatments in my Englewood, NJ acupuncture office and would like to know whether or not your insurance plan covers acupuncture, my insurance experts will be happy to verify your coverage prior to your setting up an appointment. Simply complete our online Check Your Insurance Coverage Form. This form is on a secure server, so your personal information is protected. We will get back to you, as soon as possible, with your acupuncture benefit coverage information.
My Englewood acupuncture office is conveniently located in Bergen County, NJ, just minutes from Manhattan, NYC and the George Washington Bridge.
Stay Healthy and Be Well! See a Licensed Acupuncturist regularly.
Patients seen by appointment only.
Acupuncture in Englewood NJ: 201-357-0904
Please visit my newly designed and informative website at Acupuncture-in-NJ.com.